You can keep up to date with the latest developments in my writing life here.
18 October 2020The Walrus Mutterer is reprinting
Good news! The Walrus Mutterer is being reprinted, so it will be available again shortly and so I've put it back into my shop so you can order a signed copy here. There is a discount if you buy all three of The Stone Stories novel trilogy (including volumes 2 and 3, The Amber Seeker and The Lyre Dancers) and I'll add in a free winter copy of my Earth Wonderings booklet - see the special offer here.
Today a short film about the research behind the novels, including a reading from each, will launch as part of the Scottish International Storytelling Festival, at 6.30pm, followed by a question and answer session. It was filmed at Clachtoll broch and on our sailing boat, Each Mara and it will be available to watch later if you can't make the actual event. The event recording is here.
I have a few other online events coming up.
- An event discussing how nature (especially the woods) inspires writing as part of the Word on the Street festival with Leonie Charlton on Thursday 22 October at 1.30pm. Tickets here.
- The launch of Northwords Now on Saturday 24 October at 1.30pm. Tickets here.
- Kist of Thistles re-launch on Sunday 1 November at 7.30pm
- Wild Words in the Woods - an event as part of the Being Human festival on Saturday 14 November. Tickets here.
- A joint event, From Fact to Fiction, about writing historical fiction based on a real character, with Norman Bissell, who has written a novel about George Orwell. Tickets here.
- Another Wild Words in the Woods event with Trees for life on Monday evening, 30 November.
- A poetry reading for Scottish Book Week with Dumbarton Library, date to be confirmed.
- And finally, the long-awaited launch of The Lyre Dancers at the Scottish Crannog Centre on Loch Tay will go ahead on 6 December, with writing workshops and a fireside reading at dusk in the Crannog itself. Can't wait!
I hope to see you at one or more of these events. I'll post links to them here as they become available.
01 October 2020The Walrus Mutterer is out of print
The Walrus Mutterer, the first volume of the Stone Stories iron age trilogy, is no longer available from the book distributor and I have run out of copies for sale, so sadly I have had to remove it from my website shop, as well as removing the special deal on buying the trilogy of novels. It is also not available from Amazon, Hive etc, although some bookshops may still retain stock. I am waiting for a response from the publisher, Saraband, as to their intentions.
The Walrus Mutterer is already selling for more than £15 second hand. Into the Forest, my out of print poetry anthology, goes for £1500! Not that the author/editor gets anything from such transactions, of course - if you are selling a second hand copy for a profit, spare a thought about making a charitable donation to the author ;-).
14 September 2020The Liminal Zone
I'm delighted to be starting a new project exploring the sea shore as a metaphor for edges and boundaries in our lives. The project is called 'The Liminal Zone' and it will last over the coming year. It is made possible thanks to funding from Creative Scotland. I'll be writing poetry, walking and having conversations with artists in a range of different media.
The project will launch at a short interactive Zoom session at the autumn equinox, at 2pm (British Summer Time) on Tuesday 22 September 2020. I shall introduce the project with the help of my fellow artists (not) in residence at Inverewe Garden: Lynn Bennett-Mackenzie, Dorje Khandro Dawid and Anne Coomber. Everyone taking part will be invited to share via chat what the seashore means to them. If you would like to join in please contact me for the sign-in link.